Hatch’s originally started as a garage in the early 1900’s that sold kerosene in 5 gallon containers for heating. When cars were introduced, the Hatch brothers started selling gasoline. After Prohibition, Hatch’s acquired a beer and wine license. In the 1960’s Katherine (Hatch) Dunham took over the operation, and then in 1979 sold the store to Judith and Butler Brownell. In 1984, expansion was necessary and a larger store was built on the back part of the property. Today the store is run by Judith and her son, Jason Brownell, and continues to be one of the most popular liquor stores on the island.